Rhinoplasty is done to repair or reshape the nose. Some people opt for it in order to correct a structural/functional problem and some do it for cosmetic reasons or both. Rhinoplasty is also known as the nose job. A nose job performed at Dr. Nivedita Dadu’s Dermatology Clinic by experienced surgeons can correct physical problems relating to your nose including breathing difficulties, birth defects, injuries, and any external damage. It can also be considered for cosmetic reasons like straightening of the crooked nose or to eliminate a hump or a dent on the bridge area of the nose. The surgery may involve a procedure called septoplasty, which corrects the bone and the cartilage between the nostrils.
There are many ways to perform the nose job, so it is always good to speak to your surgeon about it before actually undergoing the procedure. In most cases, it is performed on heavy sedation or general anesthesia. The surgeon will make a small incision inside the nostrils or through the base of your nose. Thereafter, the surgeon might cut away some bone and cartilage to reform your nose. He then replaces the skin and tissue over the cartilage and then stitches it up. A splint is placed outside the nose to keep it in shape at the time of healing. The splint and bandages are removed after a week’s time. The doctor takes the cartilage from inside the nose or ear or other parts of the body if more cartilage is needed during the surgery.
Post Treatment Care
- Slight oozing or bleeding may be experienced after the surgery.
- Do not remove the tape and splint put to your nose before 10-15 days or as advised by your surgeon.
- Bruising can be seen around the eyes. This tends to vanish with time.
- You can take a shower only after 24 hours post the surgery. The splint should not get wet.
- There will be some pain that can be experienced after the surgery. Take your medication as advised to reduce the pain and the discomfort.
- Say no to any strenuous activity or bending or physical exercise for 3 weeks.
- You may not be allowed to blow your nose.
Experiencing headaches, pain, and swelling after the surgery is common. There is little bruising also, which can take 7-10 days to disappear. The visiting surgeon at our clinic will advise you to keep your head raised while resting and ask you to use ice packs to reduce swelling.
Rhinoplasty can actually be rejuvenating in the sense that it can make you change the way you look and feel about yourself. It is recommended for people seeking to correct congenital defects or discomfort in breathing. The healing phase in case of rhinoplasty is extremely hassle-free.
Ratings and Reviews