We all focus on our foundations and primers whilst opting for cosmetic products but we give least importance to understand the lip cosmetics.
Lip cosmetics play a very important role in completing the camera perfect look and are used even by those who don’t apply makeup (foundation, concealer, blush etc.). So, the lip cosmetics must be chosen carefully as they can damage the lip skin if gone wrong.
Quick Tips To Choose The Right Lip Cosmetics
Here are some quick tips and tricks to choose the right formulations and type for perfect lips.
- Most of us opt for matte lipsticks in order to avoid the havoc of reapplication of lipsticks but we forget that lips do not have any oil glands or pores. Hence, it is advisable to use moisturizing lipsticks to keep them hydrated.
- For chapped and dry lips opt for extra moisturizing glossy lipsticks.
- Prefer lighter shades as darker shades have more chemical compounds in them which can cause dryness.
- Avoid flavored and colored lip balms and choose odorless, colorless lip balms instead.
- Say no to smudge proof lipsticks as they do not have any oil content or emollients and hence, can again cause dryness. So, avoid using them daily. Long lasting lipsticks contains bromo acid which interacts with mucosa of skin cells and thus can cause dryness on the lips.
- One can avoid regular use of red, maroon and other dark shades to prevent lip darkening.
- Lip plumper contains menthol, ginger, cinnamon, niacin, chilli pepper and capsaiy which increase blood flow by vasodilatation and hence, give illusion of plumper lips. But this can dehydrate the lips in long run. Instead one can opt for ingredients like hyaluronic acid, marine collagen, human growth factors or peptides for plumper lips.
Ingredients To Look For In Lip Cosmetics
There are certain ingredients which if present in the lip cosmetics can prove to be beneficial for lip health. Some of them are:
Shea Butter or Cocoa Butter
These are gentle to the lips. They have buttery texture and thus glide smooth over skin and act as perfect emollients. It helps provide nourishment making them moisturized and supple.
It helps lock moisture content from oils or butter and prevents cracking of lips by combating dryness. It keeps lips moisturized for longer durations in extreme cold weather also.
Almond Oil or Macadamia oil
This oil makes lips soft and supple by boosting skin health. They soothe dryness on lips.
It is enriched with vitamins like A, E and D which enhances skin health. Its easy absorption combats dryness faster and it acts as a great emollient.
Tocopherol or Vitamin E
It nourishes the lips and acts as an excellent moisturizer.
They moisturize skin surface and keep skin cells plump and hydrated. Honey, lecithin, hyaluronic acid and glycerin are good examples of humectants which work well in combination with other emollients and occlusives.
Ingredients to avoid in Lip Cosmetics
Talking about what ingredients are to be avoided lanolin oil and petroleum jelly top this list.
- Lanolin is derived from sheep’s wool and can be toxic and allergic. They are added into lip balm as one of its ingredients and should be avoided.
- Petroleum jelly on other hand is derived from crude oil and can be harsh to skin as they do not let skin cells breathe.
- Mineral oil also works in similar manner.
- Salicylic acid is present in certain lip balms as it helps in skin exfoliation and is a good anti-acne ingredient but this can be harsh on lips.
- Camphor and menthol are present in lip balms considering their soothing effect but they can have detrimental effect on protective layer of skin. They can make lip skin become more sensitive to environmental changes and fasten dryness and cracking on lip skin.
Lip skin must be given equal time, care and importance as we do to the rest of the face. A lot of us tend to be forgetful about lip health but simply by being careful while picking up any cosmetic for lips we can ensure lip health to a great extent. Reading the labels correctly helps choose right products and skin experts can help to understand the best suitable product as per individual skin type.
Keep Healthy! Keep Glowing!